Sunday, November 8, 2009

Presents in your presence

I'm working on a theory here I think you'll appreciate. It goes something like this:

We're so focused on the next chore we forget to say to ourselves, "Well done."

And it's something we should say more often. Not just for the big stuff: reaching a weight loss goal, completing a work project, or planning the perfect party for your little one's birthday. I think we should give ourselves many well dones every day. For doing that load of laundry when we really wanted to sit down and have a few moments of silence and a cup of tea. For driving to the further away grocery store to find the lower sodium canned tomatoes. And for making that nutritious meal for our family at the end of a long day when we really just wanted to pull through the drive through.

So I say, well done to all of us. Imagine me patting your back and I'll imagine you're patting mine too.

1 comment:

  1. Good point, Portia. Patting your back. Thanks for reminder. I think we all have a tendency to be too hard on ourselves, at least some of the time.

    Steve Jobs was just named CEO of the decade. No one is remembering all his mistakes -- and he made many. Right now, everyone is celebrating his success. I wish we could all take this approach every day. I'm pretty sure I'd be a much more positive person if I did.

    ReplyDelete