Monday, March 8, 2010

What's your sleep routine?

I'm not an insomniac, but I could be. I bet you feel that way sometimes too. And there's a very simple explanation.

We don't maintain healthy sleep hygiene.

I know, funny word. But my dad's a therapist, and it's really called that.

Now, if you're a mom, you've spent a little bit of time investing in your child's sleep habits. Our routine takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the night. It's a slow easing in to a restful night, and the payoff has been great. My family is so pleased to watch the kids and always compliments us on how good they are for bedtime.

I wish they could say the same for me. I can be utterly, completely physically exhausted and my mind races. Did I remember to dot the i and cross the t? Did I word this e-mail appropriately? Wouldn't that be a great headline for my next article?

So I talked to my dad. He reminded me of an important fact: Beds are for for two things—sleeping and ... well, let's just call it couple time.

I'm going to share his advice, because it makes such a difference in my life. You need a routine, just like your kids. The last hour of your day should be spent on non-intellectual activities. (Books are still OK, as long as you don't read in bed and it's reading for fun.)

Give yourself a break. Sleeping makes you a happier, healthier, smarter person. Routine might sound boring, but sometimes boring is beautiful.

5 comments:

  1. I've never had a problem with sleep. I work until I'm ready for bed, take a shower (my wind down time I suppose) head to bed and that's that. I'm out! Maybe I've had a routine all this time and didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing something right :-) I've always liked shower time, because for me it's a "let your mind wander" time. Sometimes I think I have my best ideas there. Plus, it's something you usually do alone, which makes it more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should take this advice, I have really bad insomnia. It's impossible to shut down my brain, even when I'm sleeping I'm not really sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleep can be a problem. It needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it. Sleep is important. But these days, full of stress and work, who can relax. It seems sleep is the last thing on earth that one can dream for!!I am really worried that these days I am getting insomniac..nice post. I am really impressed!! Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete