Friday, October 2, 2009

Mired in sickville

Yup. Still the sick house. Now I have the bug. But I don't get it for the same reasons as my children. I, like every other mom I know, fall ill because we're trying so hard to make those around us well.

A friend of mine told me a story of how she passed out - with just her two preschool daughters at home - from pneumonia. Why? The girls had a virus and she was taking care of them. A couple of weeks ago, a young mother succumbed to the H1N1 virus because she'd run herself ragged taking care of her two sick little ones.

What it boils down to is the need to take care of ourselves, too. Why are we so bad at that? I know, I know. Worry about your kids and spouse - who will get Jimmy his medicine in the middle of the night or hold Sally as she coughs so hard it makes her cry. Yes, as moms, this tends to be our job, no, our calling. But you know what? When we fall down (hopefully into bed), the world does not stop suddenly. Somehow, whether it's friends, relatives or a spouse, the kids get fed and the dog gets walked.

The bottom line is to take care of yourself, too. Take a warm bath, go to bed early. Just make sure you stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment