Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer time blues

It's started. The kids have been home all of a few days, and today they plaintively wailed, "I'm bored!"

My retort was, "Who can change that?"

Perhaps it wasn't the most sympathetic answer, but I do believe my kids need to take more responsibility for their time and actions. I know they can't drive themselves to the pool, but they can play with one of the gagillion toys they HAD to have. Or they can read a book, play in the sand box, on the play structure, draw, color, make a collage...you get my point. There's always something they could be doing; they just expect me to make it more entertaining.

But I was on deadline. I literally had to finish my project. It's a combustible combination. I get stressed, they get annoyed, and all hell breaks loose. But it doesn't have to be that way. Which is why I sent them outside to play. The connection with nature is imperative to both their mental and physical health. Of course it'll only last about another 15 minutes, but that's more than enough time to finish this blog post.

Now if I could just get to the vacuuming....

1 comment:

  1. My grandma always told me "only boring people get bored." I tell my students that if they think the lesson is boring, then perhaps they're not looking deep enough to discover what could be interesting about it.
    Of course, it never works because kids feel entitled to entertainment.
    Sigh.
    I send my kids outside too. It is amazing what nature can accomplish, or simply removing themselves from their household full of things that beep.

    ReplyDelete