Saturday, September 5, 2009

Salt it up

Convenience foods. Sounds friendly, doesn't it?

Boy have I had an education.

When I was preggers, I was a big label reader. No MSG, nitrates, nitrites. My friends still tease me about it. "We always know when you're pregnant, because you give up coffee."

I thought I was pretty good, until I decided it was time to regulate the sodium in our diet. And found salt, well, everywhere.

The fact: Salt is what they add to everything to give it flavor. Forget those "fancy" ingredients, like onions, garlic, and oregano. Just add more salt.

Is it any wonder that more than half of Americans consume more than the recommended daily allowance?

At least I know our kids won't grow up with the same salt addiction. Here at the kitchen of stately Stewart manor, it's made fresh daily, no preservatives, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment