Monday, September 21, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

Those foods or drinks we know we shouldn't consume...but still do so in large quantities. My friend's big one is Cracker Jacks. My main one - I have many - is root beer. I know, I know. The sugar content is truly disgusting. 43 grams in Hansen's - that's almost 11 teaspoons. But I really like root beer. My compromise is to drink it rarely. That way it's truly a treat.

Here's the deal: there are only so many years in my life. I spent an hour at yoga this morning and then walked the dog for another 40 minutes. I'm tired - kids and dogs have conspired to ensure I do not get more than two consecutive hours of sleep at least three nights a week. I needed a pick me up. Who doesn't from time to time? I believe the problem isn't so much will power as trying to get results too quickly. Cutting back on sugar takes time. I know this firsthand because when we went sugar-free for a year, my oldest child went into detox. I didn't know it was possible until I lived through three days of absolute hell. Now, we all enjoy a treat, just not as often. (OK, so maybe it's because I don't ever want to go back through detox.)

My plan - which works some of the time - is to simply be aware of what I put into my family's bodies. Whole foods - ones still in the form they started in - are the products we consume the most. But from time to time, a box of Cracker Jacks and a root beer is pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment