Monday, June 29, 2009

Flush out fatigue

Do you ever wake up feeling blah? This morning, I really didn't want to get out of bed. Luckily, the coffee was already in the pot. I nearly groaned with pleasure at that first wonderful sip. But some new studies have shown that its better to start your day with a glass of water than a cup of coffee. I remember hearing on talk show host claim you can get as much pep from two cups of water, drunk immediately upon wakening, as from a cup of coffee. I need more science and research before I'm willing to try it.

But here's the deal: if you're dragging during the day, your body may be telling you to drink more water. Even slight dehydration can cause tiredness and slow down your metabolism. That's a double whammy for those of us with hectic schedules.

One way to ensure enough water is to drink half your body weight (i.e., if you weigh 120 pounds, drink 60 ounces of water each day). Two good - and easy - measures of proper hydration are moist mouth and pale yellow urine (no darker than lemonade). Another possible sign is headache (that could be from the annoying co-worker or naughty child, though).

To keep myself going, I will:

1. Drink at least 1 cup of water each morning - before my coffee.
2. Stick to water throughout the day to ensure I get enough fluids.
3. Raid my garden for my daily dose of 5-9 fruits and veggies. My garden offers additional water and vitamins in the form of yummy, nutritious berries and greens.

What will you do for yourself today?

No comments:

Post a Comment