Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Night fears

As we've traveled to various locations these last few days, my children have struggled to settle for the night. Night fears - specifically fear of the unknown - have turned bed time into a struggle.

My kids aren't alone. I find my mind racing many nights as I snuggle into my bed at last. I think of everything that could have gone wrong that day (most of which did), and I worry about how I'll help my children navigate tomorrow's struggles. Will I be patient enough to teach them properly? Will I be smart enough to know the answers asked? Will I be strong enough to overcome each emotional obstacle?

I think a better question is why I handle my failures. Some days they are many. What I have to remember is that's normal. These hard lessons make me stronger, deepen my character and resolve. We've all failed to meet a goal; failure is a necessary test of resilience. So tonight, I plan to work on how I handle my setbacks.

1. I will value my sense of humor.
2. I will learn to make better choices.
3. I will improve my outlook.

What will you do for yourself today?

1 comment:

  1. I totally identify with the sleep problems.

    We're in the process of sleep training our baby. She finally slept from 8 p.m. to 7:30 this morning in her own bed with no wake ups. I would be thrilled, but my son--the good sleeper--woke up at 4:30 this morning. Ugh.

    I'm a chronic worrier, so if I wake up in the night it's a good bet I'll find something to fret over.

    ReplyDelete