Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What's for dinner?

For the past six years, I've struggled to find a delicious, nutritious answer to this question. Meal planning is not my forte. I like to cook - or I did before it became the nightly chore smack in the middle of the fussiest, whiniest time of my day. Without fail, 4 p.m. is the call to arms. The contest of wills that ensues is set in its choreography. My kids stomp over to me, faces set in the end-of-day sourness and demand, "What's for dinner?"

Most days I don't have a clue. I defrosted some chicken. I have a pizza crust and some sauce. There's pasta in the pantry. Somehow, each night, a meal makes its way to the table. But each night I think there must be an easier way. That's why I'm making a commitment to simplify those difficult meal time hours.

This week I will:
1. Plan seven days worth of meals... and stick to it
2. Use my crockpot at least once to free up the neediest hour of the day
3. Make at least one meal I truly enjoy - and not worry about small children's unsophisticated palates (and the complaining that will no doubt ensue)

What will you do for yourself today?

No comments:

Post a Comment