Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fuel for the day

The sun rises at 5:45 a.m. these days. While I think that's early, my kids' eyes pop open at the first hint of sunshine. Long summer days are here, and a good breakfast is the only way we can make it all the way to snack time.

I don't like breakfast. I've never been interested in pancakes, waffles or omelets. I'd much prefer to sip a cup of coffee until a reasonable hour - say, 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. - before considering food. My kids do not share this predilection. And research has proven, many times, that a sustaining breakfast not only makes the mind sharper, eating early can promote weight loss. Eating to lose wight is something I can support.

In my effort to ward off extra pounds and the "I'm hungry" morning whine, I've come up with a few simple, healthful breakfast options to rotate:

1. Steel cut oats with apple sauce and a handful of sliced almonds. This one is my favorite. All that fiber and protein in one bowl gives me enough energy to chase my preschooler through the park. Trader Joe's carries an eight-minute version, which speeds up busy mornings. Tip: Make double and put the extra in the fridge. For an quick morning meal later in the week, simply add a tablespoon of water and zap in the microwave.
2. Food for Life's 100% Flourless Sprouted Whole Grain English muffins with almond butter or a whole fruit, low sugar jam. The almond butter is packed with protein. The jam offers a sweeter option with some vitamins. Either way, my kids love the muffin's crunch.
3. Scrambled eggs and toast. Current research says a few eggs a week may actually be good for you. A filling and nutritious breakfast, eggs are great for those really busy mornings.

What's your go-to breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment