Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fewer toxins in my cosmetics, please

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Why, oh why, is there lead in lipstick? Formaldehyde in baby shampoo? Petrolatum (a petroleum derivative) in my moisturizer?

As the body's largest organ and first defense against the atmospheric gunk, the skin has a pretty touch job. I don't think we're helping it much to literally pour, slather and soak in chemicals. Yes, they can and do permeate the skin. That, my friends, is not a good thing.

I want you to do something. Take action. Stand up and fight against unnecessary chemicals and toxins. Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is a watchdog group made up of environmental groups (including the Clean Water Fund and Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition) that have said "no more" to toxic cosmetics. The site offers a nifty Skin Deep Database that will give you a "hazard score" for your makeup, skin care, hair care, baby products, nail polish, fragrance and toothpaste. I was disappointed to find my all-mineral makeup still scored a 3, which is borderline bad. I'll be surfing the site for a better option.

Be beautiful, be natural and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment