Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Breaking a sweat

I'm great about hitting professional deadlines. I pencil in a couple of hours - at least - each day to play games, read books and basically enjoy my kids. I make nutritious meals and watch the sun set with my husband. All these are necessary for my relationships. But there's one thing I don't make enough time for: exercise.

I'm not a morning person. Never have been. Getting up at dawn to run isn't going to work. I've tried. I last about a week before I'm absolutely too exhausted to get out of bed. I know some of you have been there with me. The best of intentions and all that. And the evenings are a rush to get kids fed, bathed, read to and in bed for a major melt down. How's a girl to find time for something as mundane as exercise?

Part of the answer for me was to sneak it in bit by bit during the day. While my kids are playing quietly, I may do sit up or squats. We take nature walks (very low intensity compared to the four to five miles I prefer, but it's something). I tread water when I'm in the pool. This all helps, but it doesn't add up to a good heart-pumping workout. That's why I finally joined the local yoga studio.

For me, I have to feel obligated to add more to my daily routine. Now that I've written the check, I want to get my money's worth. That means on the days I have a babysitter, I make a beeline for whatever class is available. I'm teaming up with two other friends to keep the kids for an hour once a week. This give each of us the opportunity to take an extra couple of classes.

Here is what I'm doing for my health today:

1. Eating more veggies. Maybe a huge salad for lunch.
2. Spending an hour in a high-level cardio dance class. Nothing like sweating to a pulsing beat!
3. Scheduling in next week's classes now. That way there's no excuse.

What will you do for your health today?

1 comment:

  1. My sister-in-law shares this great tip for Wii users:

    Of course, the minute you hop on the balance board you gain another 30 pounds ... of kid. It's like Winnie the Pooh and honey, kids are just drawn to it. Which kind of ruins the whole balance and exercise experience.

    What to do? Give your kid his or her own balance board--the bathroom scale! They'll play with you for a while and eventually get bored, and you get to exercise!

    ReplyDelete