Monday, July 13, 2009

Chocoholic

I'm sure some of you are with me on this. You love the taste of chocolate. In fact, you crave it.

If you're eating really dark chocolate - over 70% cocoa - you're craving may actually be good for you. Wait! Don't consume the entire bar. That is definitely not healthy.

Chocolate has both fat and calories, both of which will add pounds to your waistline. A better choice is to nibble a small piece, about one square, a day. The high levels of flavanols in the dark chocolate can ease blood vessels and reduce cholesterol. The most important part to remember is small dosages. Yes, it can be satisfying. Here are a few of my favorite chocolate pick-me-ups:

1. Three dark-chocolate-covered almonds. This is my absolute favorite because I'm giving my heart a double helping of health.
2. A one-ounce square of dark chocolate with a handful of dried cherries. Just try it.
3. A teaspoon of high quality (non-alkalized) cocoa powder in my morning coffee. Ever heard of a mocha? This is better for you.

What will you do for yourself today?

No comments:

Post a Comment