Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The grudge report

Please don't tell anyone, bit I kind of hold grudges. Part of it is because I don't do a good job of expressing my likes and dislikes. I get too worried about hurting people's feelings.

If you've ever answered "I don't care" when someone asked where you wanted to go to dinner--and fretted later because the person didn't read your mind--you're guilty. Sometimes the nicest thing you can do is just be a little more straightforward.

That's why I'm going to practice these steps for healthier communication:

1. Be honest with myself and others about my likes and dislikes.
2. Speak from the heart.
3. Let go of little problems and hurts.

One final note: my personal pet peeve is when people use honesty as permission to say anything. (You know, stuff like this: "Yes, grandma, we're using the dishes you gave us ... as planters." Or, "Sure boss, that's a great idea, and if you could just find someone else to do it right ...") So for me, I'll focus on a happier balance of truth with compassion.

What will you do for yourself today?
-- Post From My iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment