Monday, August 3, 2009

Success undefined

Who's the most successful person you know? My guess is this person is very busy wielding his or her power, buttoning up negotiations and bringing home a hefty pay check. But is that person happy?

As I get older, I'm realizing that happy moments are the real accomplishment. Laughter is central; I'm not sure how I'd survive without the giggly moments with my children or my husband's dry wit.

People will ultimately define my success not as a byline or publishing deal. Long after everyone's forgotten the article or book, my friends and family will support me, cheer for me and hold me as I struggle to keep my footing in this precarious world of ambition. For them, I am thankful; because of them, I have the chance to achieve on a much larger scale.

So perhaps I need to redefine success.

No comments:

Post a Comment