Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Recipe for disaster

It's canning time. I've spent the last three full days in the kitchen peeling, cutting, cooking , freezing and canning peaches. I've also made a peach cobbler, a peach crisp and a peach pie. With the help of two young children.

My kitchen wasn't just sticky. The floor actually made a sucking sound when you tried to walk across it. I won't even try to describe the mess on my cooktop. Suffice it to say I spent a good hour trying to get that back to its normal pristine white.

The satisfaction comes from that first sunshine-bright bite of warm peach. I also like spending quality time with my kids, teaching them basic math and baking skills.

I love my kids and I love to cook. But the two do not always make for a fabulous combination. Next year, I may just have to wish for a late frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment