Monday, August 24, 2009

Sibling rivalry

How can something so tiny cause so much trouble? Moira turned 1 yesterday, and she's driving her older brother, Donovan, to distraction. She gets into his toys, she steals his thunder. This is not what he expected when he heard he was getting a little sister.

We can see he's frustrated. A few weeks ago, he asked if I couldn't just put Moira back in my tummy. (But honey, she just won't fit!) A few days ago, I asked him to stop teasing his sister. ("But Mom," he said, "It's my favorite thing to do!")

Her birthday was the final straw. A whole day to celebrate this little whirling dynamo? No way!

And suddenly, I got it. My husband and I are both older siblings. We remember the angst. So we talked to Donovan this morning. Yes, little brothers or sisters can be a big pain. Yes, they get into your stuff. We remember. But ... they do grow up. And they get more fun. We promised. After all, our little brothers were the same way.

Welcome, attitude change. A few hours later, he told me, "Momma, I don't want to tease Moira anymore." He's giving her big time love. Hugs and kisses. Saying he loves her. Was it really that easy?

Now it's time for round two. Donovan's birthday tomorrow, and he'll have a day all for him to celebrate Number 4. Let's hope the truce holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment