Tuesday, August 11, 2009

That's mine

For the first time in my life, I live in what might be dubbed a "country setting." We have a couple of acres of land in an established neighborhood; the land and green spaces mean there are lots of critters that live near us. Some want to live with us. I'm not OK with that.

This year our peach tree went nuts. The peaches are plentiful and growing large - some bigger than my fist. But here's the problem: the birds and the field mice think this is there buffet. I disagree. We've been fighting about it for the past three months. I have to admit, I'm not winning as I'd hoped.

This morning, my husband and I awoke to a cheery chorus of birds right out our wind. You guessed it, that's where the peach tree is. The tree is netted and securely tied with no easy ways in but the birds solved this problem by standing on the netting and pecking through. I'm realizing I don't have a choice. In this case, sharing is inevitable. But I plan to get enough peaches for pies and preserves. The birds will just have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment