Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How was your day?

It's a question I ask my husband every evening - as much out of habit as out of genuine curiosity. I do care (deeply) about his happiness, but I also want some connection to that full time, professional world I gave up years ago. I don't miss it. Often. And I don't regret my decision to stay home. Much. On a whole, we're a more balanced and happy family. But every once in a while...

Are there days when you miss that grueling 9-to-5 pace? Are there days when you'd love to get dressed up and go out to lunch with a client or coworkers? Are there days when you wish you had someone else's deadlines to worry about instead of your self-imposed list of chores?

Days as a mom are frequently trying (on positive days, I realize I'm learning patience). But every mother of grown children and every grandmother I talk to gets that misty look in her eye when I mention I have young kids. I know this time is precious. These fleeting moments will never be recaptured. And I cherish the chance to be here for them all. Most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment