Monday, August 10, 2009

Your best friend hates Facebook

Social networking. Isn't it just a fancy word for a lot of computer on computer action? It's a sexy title for what amounts to trumped up interfaces that allow you to post comments and pictures on the Web.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like it. I'm an introvert, and all of my friends will tell you they have to drag me out of my solitude periodically because I'm likely to hunker down with my computer and rot there.

My husband, on the other hand, thinks Facebook is the biggest, weirdest waste of a good computer he's ever seen. He's the tech-savvy member of our family, and he can usually find the solution to just about anyone's computer problem. But he's not so keen on the artificial world of social networking. A friend request from a third-grade lunch pal fills him with bewilderment.

Me? I'm tickled. I love to see what happened to my best friend in second grade who moved away. It puts a smile on my face to see pictures of friends and family all over the world, from Alaska to Japan and back again.

And here's the really weird part: My real, live book club plans all of our in-person meetings on Facebook.

Sure, it can be fake and weird and stalkerish sometimes. But sometimes it just works.

No comments:

Post a Comment