Monday, August 31, 2009

Through their eyes

Like all funerals, there was a lot of food and a lot of people. Relatives we haven't seen since my husband and I got married 12 years ago. And our kids met enough aunts, uncles, cousins, and even more distant relations to completely overwhelm them.

They were saints. They were dragged around, passed around, strapped into car seats for indefinite periods of time, and sat like little angels through a two-and-a-half-hour lunch that even had me squirming.

I wouldn't have thought any less of either of them for pitching a giant fit right in the middle of their great-grandmother's living room. But it never happened. No sulks, no complaints. Just smiles and good manners.

I'm floored. Heck, I knew they were great kids, but sometimes they even impress me. All day, I heard, "They've done such a great job." "They're so well-behaved." "I can't believe how good natured they are."

It's not often we have a chance to see our kids through another person's eyes—a teacher, a relative, a friend. But this weekend was a real eye-opener for me. The next time they've pushed me to the edge, I'm gonna pull those words out again, take a deep breath, and start over. Cause when it counts, they outdo themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment