Friday, June 12, 2009

20 winks

When is the last time you got 8 hours of sleep? What about 10? I think a full night's sleep is one of the nicest gifts we can give ourselves. But how many of us really do it?

I'm guilty. Guilty of staying up late to watch one more show or read one more chapter. I tell myself I need the adult time after the kids go to bed. I need to focus on me for a few minutes. And that's true.

Enter thunderstorms. Or nightmares. Or a teething baby. It's a formula for midnight wakeups and hourly disturbances that keep your sleep fitful all night long.

Admittedly, there are some events you don't control. If you're traveling, if you have a sleep disorder, or if there's a newborn in the house, you're probably not choosing to lose sleep.

But what about the rest of us? Are we expecting too much? Are we trying to do just one more thing, or have we overcommitted ourselves so much we've sacrificed our restful hours?

There are lots of studies on sleep. Some say your memory is better after a full night's rest. Other studies show your immune system is weakened when you don't get enough sleep. I see the physical proof in the mirror every morning. When I log a solid eight snoozing, my skin looks healthier. My eyes are brighter. I don't just look better. I feel better.

So why are we denying ourselves this simple gift?

My three gifts to myself today:

1. An early bedtime

2. 10 quiet minutes of restful thought

3. 20 minutes of yoga

What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment