Monday, June 22, 2009

Pain in the...back?

A few years ago, just after the birth of my second child, I discovered I had an extra vertebrae in my lower spine. The diagnosis explained my constant back pain and my difficulties carrying my preschooler. Over the past few years - with the help of many sessions of physical therapy - I've learned how to adjust my rather lack-luster exercise regime to ensure my back is pain-free. And what a difference it has made! My kids and I now romp for hours. Or at least what seems like hours.

A recent study showed that grapes may help protect lumbar discs, the area associated with lower back pain. Because grapes are so refreshing and sweet, it's a treat to munch a bunch throughout the day. And because researchers believe that vital compound reservatrol may be the back-protector, I now have another reason to enjoy a glass of Zinfandel.

Here are my three gifts to myself today:
1. Eat a handful of red grapes
2. Spend 15 minutes strengthening my core muscles
3. Drink a cup of a tea, preferably while reading a book

What will you do for yourself today?

No comments:

Post a Comment